Sunday, December 17, 2006

Christmas Presents

Well, Christmas Eve is a week away and I'm lovin' it. I just took a week off from work, (it was a use it or lose it situation), and was able to relax and ease into the holiday spirit.

My wife and I went to the theater twice, which is something we rarely do. We saw "The Nativity Story" and a then a few days later, Mel Gibson's latest offering, "Apocalypto". Both were good but for different reasons. The former was about God's love for the Earth, and the hope and the promise He has given us. The latter was a fairly good look into the depth of depravity that would rule the Earth and its people, if it weren't for the former. I am so glad that human sacrifice is not what is required to satisfy the appetites of an angry god or government. And, I'll never complain about taxes again.

On Wednesday, we invited five kids over for an afternoon of crafts. All siblings, and ranging in age from 3 to 13, they took on the assignment of constructing small Christmas trees from wrappings and ribbons. This is all part of a holiday family tradition to goes back generations. As a child I loved making ornaments and centerpieces and other festive nick-nacks. Mom was very creative and could make just about anything she could imagine. I'm really glad I inherited that from her. And then I married a girl who also was very crafty. So it turns out, that all three of our kids are likewise bent toward similar creative outlets. Our son however, is most satisfied if he's allowed to blow up his creations afterwards, but that's a whole different kind of somethin' else.

I also was able to spend a few days woodworking. I had forgotten how much pleasure I derive from butchering wood. I can't reveal just yet what I was making, because it would spoil the surprise. Let me just say that if you hate, loathe or dispise shopping for Christmas presents (as I do sometimes), try making them. It's like you become one of Santa's elves for a while, and are able to express your love and affection toward someone special in a uniquely tangible and lasting way.
All of my kids will be coming home this week. I expect to have a houseful for the first time in a long while. We'll be baking cookies, and watching movies, and wrapping presents. BTW, that's another Christmas tradition that we take very seriously. Presents are not merely wrapped, but adorned. You'd be amazed at how you can transform underwear or a pair of socks into something special and beautiful. Sometimes I think we take more care in wraping gifts than in choosing them. We've even turned it into a competition. Before opening, each gift is scrutinized for the quality and attention that went into its camoflage. There's usually general agreement as to which one is best. This year, I expect to win. I am so confident that I'm willing to reveal it ahead of time.


Is it a coincidence that Christmas comes at the end of our calander year? I believe that someday, after the trials and blessings of this life have passed away, we will all be presented to God for His pleasure and approval. And what we were before, will be hidden in Christ, just as the gift is concealed within the wrappings and ribbons. Maybe we all secretly long for the day when the great promise of God is fulfilled in our lives, and we emerge from these cocoons, transformed from what we were, to what we will be, for eternity.

No comments: